Job Title: Assistant Director of Training and Consulting
Department: Hanna Institute
Supervisor: Hanna Institute Director
About Hanna Institute
As a leading provider of trauma-informed care training in Sonoma County and Northern California, Hanna Institute is dedicated to advancing nonviolent communication, social justice, and trauma recovery. We do this by bringing trauma-informed care to the people and places most impacted by trauma and violence. By raising public awareness, transforming agency practices and culture, and teaching strategies for self-care and recovery, we are helping transform our communities.
The Assistant Director of Training and Consulting (ADTC) is a critical leadership position within Hanna Institute, responsible for driving the vision and development of Hanna Institute’s training and consulting services.
Deeply knowledgeable of culturally responsive and developmentally informed trauma responsive practices, the ADTC will oversee the creation of comprehensive trainings, asynchronous learning modules and other innovative and engaging teaching approaches. As a community-engaged practitioner, the ADTC will identify and partner with a diverse array of subject matter experts as needed to craft curriculums that will support the needs of clients and communities alike. A skilled facilitator, the ADTC will lead trainings, workshops, and other learning events, and provide consulting and coaching services to support the integration and application of concepts within programs, agencies, and systems. An experienced leader, the ADTC will supervise and inspire training and consulting staff as well as sub-contracted trainers and partners. A committed collaborator, the ADTC will report to the Hanna Institute Director and work closely with the Head of Public Programs and Events, the Head of Research and Evaluation and the Chief Clinical Officer to support the continued transformation of Hanna as a community accountable leader in trauma-informed and trauma resilient practices.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Content Creation and Delivery
- Develops and implements strategic training and consulting services development roadmap, built upon community demand, culturally responsive approaches, and proven and promising practices
- Oversees the creation and delivery of branded organizational and professional trainings, curriculums, and innovative learning tools
- Establishes and oversees processes to design, develop and evaluate learning experiences that best suit the content, client needs, and continuing education criteria (e.g., eLearning, virtual and in-person instructor led trainings, and blended/hybrid learning options) and ensure a rich learning experience
- Benchmarks best practices in trauma informed, trauma responsive implementation to create consulting service frameworks and processes, including client assessment tools, implementation plans, and metrics for evaluation
- Authors/Co-authors publications, presentations, and other engagements to share findings and drive thought leadership
- Supports business development activities including nurturing and leveraging relationships with existing clients and contributing to development of contract proposals and Scope of Work (SOW)
- Works with the Business Development Manager and Chief Development Officer to develop meaningful relationships with potential clients including grassroots organizations, government, foundations, and other social impact investors
- Anticipates and understands the expectations of clients and delivers on commitments within agreed upon timeframes
- Develop and lead a small, diverse, and dynamic team of trainers and faculty responsible for designing and delivering training and consulting services
- Nurtures the skills and professional capacity of trainers and consultants
- Thoughtfully partners with other subject matters leaders to generate new and interdisciplinary products, services, and programs
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Significant knowledge developmental trauma, early childhood adversity, and trauma informed system of care
- Grounded in a social and racial justice framework and understanding of the sociocultural and political stressors that lead to the creation and perpetuation of traumatized communities.
- Experienced and engaging public speaker and trainer
- Demonstrable success in creating high quality and inclusive curriculums, training courses and other learning tools, and committed to exploring new approaches and platforms for learning
- Experience developing and providing organizational consulting services, knowledge of consultation models
- Demonstrated ability to develop and inspire skilled trainers and facilitators and a champion for continuous learning
- Ability to manage multiple competing deadlines in a fast-paced and supportive environment
- Ability to continually evolve training offerings and materials based on feedback received or changes in systems, policies, or science
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrate willingness to continue to learn, grow and develop personally and professionally
- Valid CA state driver’s license
- Master’s Degree required, doctoral or terminal degree in psychology, social work, marriage and family therapy, or related field preferred
- Must clear background check for a Community Care Licensed facility, including physical, tb and drug test.
- Sit for extended periods of time and the ability to manage repetitive hand/wrist movements while using a computer keyboard and/or the phone.
- Bend, squat, stoop, and walk-up flight of stairs.
- Lift and/or carry up to 20 lbs., occasionally. Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal.