Job Description Hanna Boys Center
Job Title: Substance Abuse Counselor/Program Coordinator
Supervisor: Chief Clinical Officer
Description: The Substance Abuse Counselor/Program Lead is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the HBC Substance/Vaping Program. They will work directly with the Chief Clinical Officer to define, modify, and implement the Center’s substance/vaping awareness and response program in a trauma-informed, cultural humility context. In addition, they are responsible for providing and coordinating the therapeutic needs of clients struggling with substance use and/or vaping.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with the Chief Clinical Officer to develop, evaluate, and modify the trauma-informed, culturally responsive HBC Drug policy and program from prevention through relapse prevention.
- Run Substance Abuse Groups.
- Provide Individual, Group, and Family Therapy for clients struggling with substance use.
- Develop a clear understanding of the impact of ACEs and Urban ACEs of each client.
- Incorporate appropriate evidence-based practices into client sessions.
- Develop and run prevention and psychoeducation workshops for the community.
- Provide consultation to colleagues throughout milieu.
- Provide or supervise HBC Staff training on drug related issues on a regular basis and as needed.
- Coordinate drug testing.
- Participate in intervention meetings that involve drug, or related behavior.
- Participate in ongoing education to stay current in the field of drug education.
- Liaison with school personnel to address appropriate drug education curriculum.
- Maintain positive communications with parents/guardians.
- Participate in weekly internal department meetings and group supervision, as well as meetings with the residential and teaching staff.
- Establish with each client a clinically comprehensive psychotherapy individualized treatment plan, using the CANS-Trauma Comprehensive Assessment.
- Re-assess client and revise treatment plan every 6 months.
- Maintain weekly progress notes, quarterly and closing summaries.
- Create after-care plans, including possible referrals and/or resources.
- Participate in weekly in-service and regularly trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Certified Drug Abuse Counselor or licensed mental health provider with substance abuse expertise (LMFT, LCSW, Licensed psychologist, MFCC).
- Experiencing running and/or designing substance abuse/misuse programs.
- Experience with adolescent males.
- Ability to provide trauma informed or trauma-specific services, including trauma informed substance use intervention (e.g., seeking safety, RRFT, TST-SA, etc.)
- Demonstrates cultural humility and openness. Experience working cross-culturally. Knowledge of culturally responsive therapy a plus.
- Strong communication skills that demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally. Ability to communicate in a direct and constructive manner with colleagues.
- Knowledge of conflict resolution strategies.
- Bilingual (Spanish/ English) a plus.
- Must clear background check for a Community Care Licensed facility, including physical, tb and drug test.
- Sit for extended periods of time and the ability to manage repetitive hand/wrist movements while using a computer keyboard and/or the phone.
- Bend, squat, stoop, and walk- up flight of stairs.
- Lift and/or carry up to 20 lbs., occasionally. Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal.